Saturday 15 June 2013

"Give me a closet* and I will fill it"

...the famous words of Picasso (*okay, so he was talking about a museum, not a closet). 
Where the early 20th century artist had Montmartre, we have Liberty!

I got to hang out at Liberty with my mom recently, when she was visiting.  We spent the afternoon wandering  wide eyed from floor to floor, inspecting the stitches on the stunning outfits on the fashion floors, dreaming up designs, gushing over the fabrics on the haberdashery floor and then replenishing our blood sugar with flourless chocolate cake, scones and cocktails in the cafe.  (All part of the experience, we told ourselves.)

If Picasso were a 21st century home sewer maybe he would have picked up this artist-like paint splatter Melly Tana Lawn (incidentally also purchased by Almond Rock around the same time - can't wait to see what Amy does with it).
I bought about a metre of fabric so I made this boxy summer blouse with a loose peplum, slightly longer in the back, and petal sleeves.
I went for a snap closure on the shoulder to avoid a centre back seam.
The petal sleeves are lined with self facing.  I didn't line the rest of the blouse, to keep it light and summery.
A final photo paired with my scrapbuster collar.  Too much? ...maybe... but can't a sewer be eccentric too?

At least temporarily...  

No comments:

Post a Comment